Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Visual Thinking Strategies

As I've discussed in earlier posts, I'm a strong believer in the importance of visuals in the classroom to supplement learning. I wanted to do a little research on the web to find some information to support my arguments and I came across an article discussing Visual Thinking Strategies. From what I can tell, the premise behind VTS is that students are expected to look at images and come up with meaning, just as they would look at words in a textbook or novel and develop meaning. As their skills build, students are able to come up with meaning from more complicated and advanced images. 

Much of the discussion of VTS centers around using artistic images and teaching students in an art class. I think the techniques behind this idea can easily be implemented in an English classroom. Let's say I was teaching Hamlet for example. There are literally millions of artistic renderings from this play that can be used in the classroom. In undergrad, I spent a whole month one semester discussing various portraits of Ophelia's drowning. These images can be shown to students in two ways: 

1. In conjunction with their reading, to provide visual enhancement for the text. This might make things easier for some students to understand. 

2. As foreshadowing for what is about to occur in their reading. For example, if the following image is shown before the students read about Ophelia's suicide the students can be asked who they think this woman is, why she is floating, what caused this, etc. 

The students can then read Hamlet to find out what happened to Ophelia. 

I think there is a very important place for visuals in the classroom and the techniques and methods of VTS can assist teachers to find the best way to incorporate these ideas into their teaching. 

4 comments:

  1. Lauren, what a great way to incorporate VTS into an English classroom. I hadn't thought about using artwork in order foreshadow a piece of literature. I love the work that you chose for Hamlet and I think any time you can bring other subjects into the classroom it's important. Especially when you can incorporate globally important pieces of art, literature or music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren,
    Love it! Hooking readers in through visuals is a great way to have them not sure read, but read for meaning. Since I am a visual learner, the more graphics incorporated the more engaged I become...yes, I like books with pictures:)
    Take this a step further...use a blog to share these images and questions and allow students to answer in the comments section. This should not replace the classroom discussion, but will give kids more time to prepare for the classroom discussion while having the time to formulate their answers. Are you creating an online library of these visuals? Dropbox.com is a great place to store images files and Diigo is a great way to bookmark them so you can quickly access them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the ideas, Mr. Knight! I didn't think about ways to store these images online but there are so many that having them easily organized and accessible via Dropbox or Diigo is a great idea.

      Delete
  3. Lauren ,

    This is such a great idea! Especially for an english classroom. When I was teaching Shakespeare to my students a few months ago I wish I thought of showing them pictures of scenes in the book for foreshadowing. It would of made the students more excited to read more of the play. Maybe you could have the student draw a picture of what they think will happen next in a story. This way they are drawing their own visuals too! Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete