Pages

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Podcasts in the Classroom

When I first read that we would be looking into podcasts as a tool to use in our classroom, I mentally wrote it off. I've downloaded podcasts to listen to before at the gym and when I'm walking around the city, but I've never been able to really focus on what the podcasts are saying. I find that someone speaking without corresponding visuals presents a really easy way for me to tune out and I imagine that many students feel the same way. 

Once I read the article on enhanced podcasting, my views changed. I think that incorporating visuals, such as pictures and charts, into a podcast makes it tremendously more effective as a learning tool. It will appeal to many styles of learners and kids will have a much easier time staying on task. I wanted to see an example of an enhanced podcast so I found this sample on the web. Despite having little knowledge or desire to learn about the Pacific Northwest, I found that I was able to maintain focus on this podcast and that I received a fair bit of information. 

A podcast such as the one I referenced above would be a valuable tool to use in the classroom. I think enhanced podcasts will reinforce the idea of cooperative learning between the teacher and the students. Because these podcasts are relatively easy to create, it would be possible for students to create their own podcasts to teach their teacher and classmates about something. Short podcasts could be a fun way for the students to get to know each other at the beginning of the year and for the teacher to get to know his or her students as well. 

The only barriers I can really see from using enhanced podcasts are equipment and skill barriers. The article states that only Macintosh computers have the capability to create enhanced podcasts in PowerPoint and many schools do not have Macs. I looked at the website voicethread.com that was recommended in the article and it seems pretty straightforward to create a movie. As long as the student have access to computers, it shouldn't be a problem to create enhanced podcasts in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment